The english for work it is an unavoidable requirement and a challenge for companies. In a globalized world, speaking a common language between companies is a necessity. A low level of English is a deficit when it comes to getting a job. In addition, it represents a significant language barrier for companies that want to import, export, train remote teams or simply have a business meeting.
In fact, any corporate expansion plan must consider staff training in english for work.
Find out why and what strategies you can implement to empower your teams.
Formed at english for work, a challenge for companies
With English becoming the universal language of business, having bilingual staff is a must for companies in non-English speaking countries.
In fact, the language barrier is among the top five obstacles faced by companies in international trade.
It is interesting to observe how is the learning of English in Latin America. According to a publication of Inter-American Dialogue, countries have improved their national strategies. However, the level of English that students graduate with is very low.
The publication mentions a study carried out in El Salvador. In that report, Human Resources managers and assistants from 300 companies identified the ability to speak a foreign language as the second most difficult skill to find among staff, after managing technology.
Is it your case? Really, if the company wants to grow and develop, it must accept the challenge of training personnel in english for work.
Requirements and available skills english for work
What are the language skills required in the workplace? Although different companies have their needs, there is a basic level that is essential. In fact, business is on the way to becoming more and more global.
The two main requirements are:
- Know how to read and speak English. According to a study by the famous cambridge academy, the skills of english for work They are the most valued in companies. Depending on the industries, one may be more valued than the other. For example, knowing how to read is more important where contracts, manuals or publications are used. Instead, speaking English is more necessary in services such as travel or hospitality.
- Possess an advanced or intermediate level. In non-English-speaking countries, the 49% of companies required an advanced level of English, while the 33%, an intermediate level.
However, there is a gap between the skills available and those required. The mentioned study reveals that it can reach up to 40%, without differences between the size of the companies.
On the other hand, the greatest deficit is found in internal roles, in areas such as Human Resources, Accounting or Logistics.
So too, in companies that do not trade with English-speaking countries.
Strategies to stimulate english for work in the company
As we have seen, having a staff that knows English is essential. Also, know english for work it is a requirement that can only increase in the coming years.
Companies have different resources so that their employees can improve their knowledge. However, there is a success factor that is motivation. In fact, excuses by staff for not studying English are common. But sometimes company managers also need to be motivated.
Motivation and commitment can be achieved through strategies such as:
- Demonstrate to the employee the importance of knowing English, in current and future jobs. Knowledge of English is key to labor mobility and access to better salaries. The demand for bilingual professionals is not covered. English-skilled employees not only earn more: they can work for better corporations.
- Show the company how English increases competitiveness and opens doors to international trade. Also, how can you retain talent by offering improvement opportunities and incentives for having a good level of English.
- Other benefits for the company: it reduces costs, improves the image and allows the creation of new business models. Companies with higher English proficiency tend to be more inclusive and open.
Towards an English language staff training program
Currently there is a wide range of possibilities for companies that want to train their staff in English.
However, the responsibility falls on the Human Resources area, which often does not have bilingual staff in its own team.
Therefore, we recommend creating a training program and plan. This must be approved by senior management to provide it with the necessary resources.
Basically the program should report:
- Which employees will receive the training. It will be determined based on an analysis of needs and abilities.
- What training method will be used. There are three ways to study English: in a study center, through classes in the company or through the Internet.
- What are the goals and in what terms?
- How progress will be displayed.
- How staff will be stimulated or incentivized to achieve goals.
teaching methods english for work in the company
As we saw, there are three basic modalities for teaching of English to work in the company. However, each has different characteristics.
Check out these resources:
- Learning by doing. It consists of combining work with learning the language. Highly recommended for hands-on employees looking for quick results. Includes handling of software, materials, conversation or use of working documents.
- Playful and recreational methodology. Facilitate language learning through videos, games, songs or participation in social networks in English. Those who can better accept this methodology are the "millennials", known for their love of being connected 24 hours a day.
- Conversation. If the company needs its employees to defend themselves better by speaking than by reading, conversation sessions with native speakers are ideal.
- Courses online or in institutes. Ideal for responsible employees with a lot of autonomy. Also for millennials.
- Immersive days or business exchange. They are more expensive options, but very effective. In addition, they are among the most valued by employees.
In an increasingly connected world, companies face the challenge of globalization.
To meet language needs, it is best to train your own staff.
This must be seen by the company as an investment and not an expense.
Thus, providing employees with training courses english for work It will make the company a better, more open and efficient organization.
English Courses for Companies
Personalized, with native teachers specialized in technical vocabulary.