The TOEFL test It is one of the most frequent requirements of companies and institutions abroad and certifies their level of English. If you plan to take a trip for professional or academic reasons, it is probably in your best interest to have it.
Passing this exam can be a real challenge. However, it is not impossible when you are prepared. In this article we will talk about the test, its benefits for your professional development, how it is composed and some tips that you can follow to pass it.
What is the TOEFL test?
The TOEFL exam, Test of English as a Foreign Languages, is a test of Mastery of English. As its name indicates, it allows you to certify your performance in the language at an international level.
It is widely recognized and is the most recommended option for those who want to work in English-speaking countries. This is because it is highly valued by universities and institutions as proof of language proficiency.
Your TOEFL English test score opens the door to the best job and academic opportunities abroad.
The TOEFL certification validates your competence in the different skills it assesses: academic reading, writing, speaking and listening comprehension. To obtain it, it is convenient that you dedicate time to its preparation so that it achieves a good performance.
Importance of having the TOEFL exam certification
Certification on this test validates a person's command of English. Consequently, when you have obtained it, you can show potential providers evidence of your language competence.
People who want to get a job in an English-speaking country must have the TOEFL certification. If you want to find job opportunities in England, the United States, Canada or Australia, it is in your best interest to obtain it in order to be considered by the best companies.
Benefits of the TOEFL test
Beyond certifying your command of the language, this test also can give you other valuable benefits. They will support you in your professional performance as well as in your chances of being accepted into recognized postgraduate centres.
Enrich the resume
Having an international certification such as TOEFL adds valuable points to your work profile, making you a comprehensive and highly trained professional. Adding this item to your resume strengthens your position to get the position you want.
A person who, in addition to speaking English, can count on such prestigious support for their knowledge, demonstrates: a high level of commitment and a motivation to grow and develop.
Facilitates entry to bachelor's, master's or doctoral programs in English-speaking countries
If your plans include continuing your higher education, specializing in some aspect of your field of work or starting a new career in an Anglo-Saxon country, you will need to have a high level of English.
Due to the high level of demand that these institutes present, limiting yourself to learn English it will not be enough. A TOEFL certification supports your academic knowledge and performance.
Help in the process of applying for student and work visas in several countries
When applying for a study or work visa in an English-speaking country, you need to demonstrate that you are qualified in all aspects to perform successfully. Having passed this test shows that you have the necessary level of English.
It is the most recognized certification worldwide
Although there are different types of international English certifications, the TOEFL is the most recognized. It is used by more than 9,000 universities in more than 130 countries in different parts of the world.
Provides prestige and recognition
By adding a TOEFL certification to your work and personal profile, you will enjoy greater prestige, thanks to the great recognition that it has at a world level. Both in your country of origin and in your destination, you will be able to exhibit your achievement and be recognized for it.
Frequently asked questions about the TOEFL test
Although it is of great importance to have a TOEFL certification, it is also you need to know all the details before you sign up. In this way you will be able to prepare yourself adequately to be able to pass successfully.
How many types of TOEFL are there?
Currently, there are 3 different TOEFL types, depending on their purpose:
- TOEFL PBT (Paper Based Test). It is a paper-and-pencil test whose main focus is on the test taker's reading ability, writing ability, and listening comprehension.
- TOEFL iBT (Internet Based Test). It is the most complex, since it evaluates aspects related to language management: reading, writing, listening and speaking. It is also the one that best positions you for work and study.
- TOEFL ITP (Institutional Testing Program). It is a shorter version of the other two exams and is purely academic in nature. This does not have international validity.
Which one should I submit if I want international certification?
If you want to certify your knowledge of English, the most common option available is the TOEFL iBT. However, in some countries the TOEFL pBT is still applied, among which are: Colombia, India, Mexico and the United States.
The TOEFL iBT test is taken entirely online at an authorized test center. However, in the case of pBT, three of the sections are made in the center; while the oral expression is done at home with online monitoring.
Currently there is also a version of TOEFL iBT-Home Edition. You must bear in mind that in order to do so, you must complete a series of technical and privacy requirements. Make sure you can meet them before opting for it.
How long does it take to take the exam?
The TOEFL IBT, being a standardized test, has a total duration of approximately 4 hours, distributed among the different aspects to be evaluated. when presenting it you should take into consideration the maximum time of each section, in order to complete it.
Keep in mind that the duration of the test will be approximately half a day, so make sure you have the accommodation you require for that day.
Weather duration of each part:
- Reading comprehension : 60-80 minutes depending on the number of texts assigned.
- Auditive comprehension: 60-90 minutes
- Oral expression : 20 minutes
- Drafting: 50 minutes
What are the parts of the exam?
The TOEFL iBT assesses and measures how well participants use and combine the four main language skills in English. Knowing how it works will get you a good grade:
- Reading comprehension: here you will be asked to read between 3 and 4 texts taken from passages of academic content. Then you will answer a series of questions about it (between 12 and 14). It is not a test of knowledge but of understanding.
- Auditive comprehension: pFirst you will listen to between 4 to 6 academic classes and you will have to answer 6 questions for each one. In the second part you will listen to some everyday conversations and answer 5 questions. Afterwards, there will be a 10-15 minute break to start the next part.
- Oral expression: the conversational skills. CIt consists of six tasks. In the first two you will answer questions about familiar topics. In the remaining four you will hear information and then talk about it.
- Written Expression: This is the final section and you will be asked to write two essays of approximately 300 words each.
Tips for passing the TOEFL
When you go to perform the test, keep in mind the following recommendations:
- Learn how the exam works to know exactly what will be evaluated in each section.
- Enroll in a preparation course that will allow you to practice each of the parts to complete them within the stipulated time.
- Please read the detailed instructions and be sure to follow them carefully.
- Relax, the calmer you are, the easier it will be for you to analyze tasks and do them correctly.
Courses to pass the TOEFL exam
If you are prepared to get a better job and of course higher income; It is in your best interest to invest in a course to pass this certification. Select a training that suits your needs, better if it includes an initial interview.
In that conversation you can set your goals, you can also count on a teacher of your native language to help you progress faster. This also allows you to gain confidence to succeed in the test.
What body can issue the TOEFL passing certificate?
The TOEFL passing certificate is issued by the Educational Testing Service (ETS), which is a non-profit organization operating in Princeton, New Jersey in the United States.
ETS annually administers 50 million TOEFL and more than 35 million people have taken it.
ETS administers tests globally. It is estimated that about 50 million applications are made each year. No certified center rates the test; the exam is corrected by software and the results are sent from the central office in an automated way.
The TOEFL test validates your knowledge of English at an International Level. For this reason, it will open many doors for you in the world of work, academia and even on a personal level. Take advantage of the advantages that having this certificate on your resume gives you.
To achieve success in this test you should take personalized English classes. Find the training that fits your time and budget, visit Business English2Go and discover options to reach your goal.
You may also be interested in:
Personalized English Courses
Learn with native teachers specialized in technical vocabularies. Courses oriented to your objectives and at your own pace.